Sharpening your Python skills

(Yiorgos Adamopoulos) #1

So as someone who jumped into Python because of work requirements, I need to sharpen my skills a bit. I am currently aiming at completing stuff from Project Euler and give a shot at the Cryptopals challenge which is something I always wanted to do.

Any other resources for someone to sharpen their Python (and not necessarily web related) Fu?

Many thanks

PS: We need to get more traffic to the forum guys :slight_smile:

(Tobias Macey) #2

@yiorgos I definitely agree on the need for forum traffic.

As to your question about other ways to exercise your Python, CheckIO is pretty great. If data is your thing then it’s worth trying your hand at some of the Kaggle sample challenges. Another good avenue is contributing patches to open source Python projects and working through the associated code reviews.

(Mike Busch) #3

I second CheckIO.org. I’m using that with my students to help them learn/round out skills.

(Smitty1e Gh) #4

I read a lot of Python material at safaribooks.com

(Tobias Macey) #5

Safari books is pretty great. I use it for all kinds of things and being able to just say “I want to read about a new language now!” without having to worry about where to find resources or how much they cost is awesome.

Codewars.com has a great graded ‘kata’ approach: I find them interesting problems & just the right level of difficulty. Not just python either.

(Cristian Medina) #7

Check out the book “Fluent Python” by Luciano Ramalho … Good overview of more advanced python topics, including class interfaces, metaclasses and a bunch of other neat stuff.

(cpatti) #8

I’d second CheckIO, but would also recommend Reuven Lerner’s superb Practice Makes Python.

(Smitty1e Gh) #9

Among the best programming books I’ve ever read.

(Mike) #10

Here are some of the best Python tutorials & books to keep you practicing your Python skills