Introduce yourself

(Tobias Macey) #1

Thanks for joining our community! How did you get involved in Python? What part of the world do you hail from? What else do you want to tell us about yourself?

(Tobias Macey) #2

Hello everyone! I am Tobias Macey, one of the hosts of the show.

My first exposure to Python was in trying to upgrade a Plone site to a newer version while working as a systems administrator. I had never heard of Python before and didn’t know anything about it, but after doing some reading it sounded interesting. Several months later I started experimenting with it and immediately liked it which is why I decided to use it for my senior project in college. That project used the SimpleCV library to process frames from an IP camera to be used for detecting the presence of a human and alerting the user via an Android application.

Since then I have used it as my primary language whenever possible and still enjoy it as much as when I first started.

As to where I come from, I grew up in Vermont, U.S.A. and have also lived in New Hampshire and Boston.

(Tuukka Turto) #3

Hello there, I’m Tuukka Turto, a hobbyist Python coder.

I got to know Python when working at Nokia and fell in love with the language. Nowdays I code more in Hy (a lisp implementation build on top of Python) than in Python, but still keep an eye what’s happening in the Python world and what cool libraries are being released.

Currently very firmly set in central Finland.

(bruceteckel) #4

I’m Bruce Eckel. I write books on programming and create events around programming (for example, the upcoming Winter Tech Forum and Developer Retreat. I’ve also been studying ways to create better organizational structures and writing about it in Reinventing Business.

Although I’ve written books on C++, Java, and Scala, Python has been my favorite programming language, and what I use to solve my own problems, for over a decade. I’ve given various Pycon presentations including two keynotes, and created one of the conference T-shirts. Once I finish my current project I plan to write a Python book and move most or all of my activities into that world.

I live in Crested Butte, Colorado, where I hold many of my events, but I also travel a fair amount, often to speak at conferences.

(len_wanger) #5

Hi, I’m Len Wanger. I worked as a software engineer and engineering manager for many years (in a large number of language - FORTRAN, Pascal, C, C++, Basic, Ada, Lisp, Prolog, Tcl, Java, Jovial, etc.). These days I work as a coach and consultant for early stage start up companies.

I started using Python 14 years ago as an investigation into putting Python as an embedded scripting language in a molecular modeling package that my team was writing. We didn’t end up using it for that project, but I fell in love with the language as a hobbyist. Over the last several years I have also started using Python to help with a variety of STEM education projects I am involved with.

I am using Python for a number for fun projects. Data Analysis, STEM education, financial simulation, and even to control a proprietary 3D printer that one of my client companies is developing.

I live in Chicago and am a regular listener to Podcast.init. In particular it is great to hear about all of the interesting developments in the wider Python ecosystem.

(Tobias Macey) #6

Hello Len, great to (virtually) meet you! I’m glad you like the show and thanks for joining the community :slightly_smiling:

(Tobias Macey) #7

Hello Bruce, thanks for joining! I look forward to seeing your Python book when you get to it.

(perrygrossman2008) #8

Hi,

Perry Grossman here, from Boston. Python was recommended to me years ago for data analytics for the telecom logs files I was analyzing. I am a fairly regular attendee of Boston Python and as many local workshops as I can get to. I am interested in data science and app development, including energy analytics, web analytics, social science, etc. I am looking for work as a data analyst using Python.

Thanks for putting this podcast together.

(Tobias Macey) #9

Hello Perry, thanks for joining the community! I just moved back to the Boston area so perhaps we will run into each other at the meetup.

(Sergey Edalin) #10

Hi all!
I am Sergey Edalin. I learn python second month. And I plan to become an international freelancer))
These podcasts really help me navigate the world of programmers. Now I am a lawyer from the deep Russian province. There are no Python user community. In general, the Russian Internet is difficult to find a mentor. Perhaps because of the high competition among programmers. In my town programmers it receives about $ 200 a month. Thank you for an interesting show!

(mtemelkov) #11

Hello to all.

I am Mihail Temelkov, Python contract developer in London.

The first time I heard about Python was in 2001. Back then I was coding in Java and Perl in the financial industry in NYC, where Python was still exotic. Five years later I had moved to the visual effects industry and had a real incentive to learn Python, because it was part of the pipeline of almost all VFX shops. In fact Python had been adopted in the VFX industry earlier than in most other industries, afaik. For example ILM started using it about 20 years ago.
Back on topic - I loved Python from day one, in contrast with cryptic Perl.

At work I’ve been coding almost only in Python the last 6 years - the first year still in the VFX industry, where the work was more varied, but not particularly well compensated, and the last 5 years back in the financial industry.
Currently I am trying to stay current by listening to podcasts, watching conference videos, and doing little experiments at home, which are inspired by the podcasts and videos. I used to do volunteer dev work, currently thinking about joining some open source project, because that’s a lot better than just tinkering at home.

(cpatti) #12

@tuuturto I just wanna say that the Hylang episode is one of my personal favorites! I’m not very good at LISP but I thought you guys were totally fascinating to chat with, and I enjoy following your rogue-like projects :smile:

(Tuukka Turto) #13

Thanks @Feoh :slight_smile: Paul got me initially interested on Hy couple years ago and since then I have been tinkering with it on and off. One of my favourite features is that whole Python library can be used with it, giving me lots and lots of cool libraries for writing whatever I want to write.

(cpatti) #14

Hi everybody! I’m the co-host of Podcast.init and I’m tickled pink at the participation we’re getting in this forum! Sorry for the slightly late start, work has been kinda blistering of late :slightly_smiling:

I’ve been working in technology for the last 25 years. Kinda boggles my mind that I’ve been doing this for 1/4 century now. I feel old :slight_smile:

I’ve come to Python through my recent involvement in the infrastructure as code / devops area - my current employer uses it rather heavily internally, and I was tasked to write a system for provisioning our fleet of servers from bare metal. It was quite an experience and along the way I came to appreciate various aspects of the language but especially its incredible community. You guys have built some crazy cool stuff! :sunglasses:

I have always been totally fascinated by the intersection of art and technology, and amvery much enjoying all the multimedia tools people are building in Python like Kivy, KivEnt, VPython and others.

Doing this podcast has been such an incredible way to meet some of the amazing people that make up our community. It’s been a real pleasure watching it grow from Tobias and I going back and forth about how (at that moment in time :smile:) Python didn’t have even one podcast dedicated to it, much less 3!

(Yiorgos Adamopoulos) #15

Hello! I am Yiorgos Adamopoulos. An Ops person slowly becoming DevOps. This is my second serious year with Python (although I have memories of it since 1.5.2). I am using it mostly with Fabric and other APIs in order to automate parts of our deployments.

(Tobias Macey) #16

Welcome! We are actually working on getting Jeff Forcier scheduled to talk about his work on Fabric and Paramiko. They are great projects with a lot of practical use cases.

Congratulations on making the transition to the DevOps mindset. I’m happy to answer questions you may have.

(Mike Busch) #17

Hi Everyone,

I’m Mike Busch currently a doctoral candidate and teacher at Colorado Technical University. I’ve been aware of Python for a long time (I just dug the 1996 O’Reilly book by Mark Lutz out of a bookshelf) but never was in a position to seriously learn or use it until I started working on my research project a couple of years ago. My project has some commonality with bioinformatics topics and the more I read and studied the more I heard about Python and figured now was the chance for me to dive in. I’m so happy I did! I’ve become the Python evangelist on my campus. Just like the XKCD comic, programming has become fun again (and I didn’t even have to sample everything in the medicine cabinet).

Chris and Tobias - thanks for a great podcast! It is always high point in my week when I can drive to work and listen to your show.

(Tobias Macey) #18

Hello @zenlc! Thank you for joining our small but growing community. I’m glad that you’ve been able to start using Python more professionally lately :slight_smile:

I’m glad that you are enjoying the podcast and that it provides you with some enjoyment. Feel free to let us know if you have any suggestions for ways we could make it better or if there is a topic or guest that you would like to hear on the show.

(Mecha Coder) #19

Hi, everyone I am a web developer working on the borders of Scotland, Python is I work with as for my personal projects, I also work with CFML (openBD) and javascript. I started Python as a way of learning to program which is when i liked the language and it has become my preferred language for personal projects.

(Tobias Macey) #21