Episode Suggestions

(Tobias Macey) #1

Do you have ideas for projects, topics, or guests that we should have on upcoming episodes? Do you have a suggestion for how to make the show better? We would love to hear from you!

(len_wanger) #2

I find Python to be somewhat like the old advertisement for the game Othello – “minutes to learn, years to master.” In the last year or so I have become a real student of the language and keep on finding new and inspiring features.

I think it would be interesting is to discuss the changes in the language over the last several years and how that has changed how to code Python. As many of these new features have been added (comprehensions, generators, iterators, context managers,etc.), it’s fundamentally altered the way my Python code looks (not to mention parts of the standard libraries or key 3rd party libraries.)

Several topics here I can think of:

• The paradigm shift for programming using asyncio
  • Generators (get Dave Beazley!)
  • Where the language is going
  • What being Pythonic looks like now (i.e. it looks a lot different in 2.7/3.5 than it did 2.0!)

Len

(Tobias Macey) #3

I like your idea of discussing the evolution of developer experience over the various Python versions. Do you happen to have any recommendations as to guests who would be able to speak to that topic? I think the idea of what is Pythonic and how that evolved with the language would fit well with the discussion of how the overall experience has progressed.

Asyncio is definitely an interesting addition to the language and it would be interesting to explore how that affects programming styles as well as if it allows for bringing in people from other communities (thinking Node.js in particular).

(len_wanger) #4

A few suggestions:

• Guido [of course!]
  • Dave Beazley [great on lots of things… in particular generators]
  • Raymond Hettinger [idiomatic Python]
  • Tim Peters [Zen of Python]

Not really on this list, but would love to hear him in a podcast: Peter Norvig

Len

(Tobias Macey) #5

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m working on getting Raymond Hettinger on the show but he is chronically busy so it’s hard to pin him down for a time to talk. I agree that all of the other gentlemen on the list would make for great interviews. We’ll try to get them on in the future :slightly_smiling:

(Tobias Macey) #6

I am trying to put together an episode on the use of Python in geospatial/GIS applications. Does anyone have suggestions of who I should contact for that? I’ve attempted to email Sean Gillies but he seems to be a busy individual as I haven’t been able to elicit a response so far.

(mtemelkov) #7

I would be interested to hear about using Python for work in IoT, robotics, smart cities, and other sectors, which are going to expand greatly in the foreseeable future.

(Tobias Macey) #8

Hello @mtemelkov, good ideas. We had an interview about MicroPython which is arguably along those lines but we’ll see what else we can come up with.

In your introduction you mentioned having worked in the VFX industry with Python. Do you have any suggestions for interesting topics within that domain or people who we might want to have on the show?

(mtemelkov) #9

Five years ago, when I left the VFX industry, Python was typically being used inside 3D software (the major packages like Maya, Houdini, Nuke, etc. added Python APIs 8-10 years ago, in-house simulation engines also have Python APIs), and for “pipeline” development - asset management, render farm management, etc.
Here are a some videos:
http://www.pyvideo.org/video/476/pyconau-2010--python-goes-to-the-movies
https://2015.pycon.ca/en/schedule/18/
http://www.pyvideo.org/video/3044/amanda-a-new-generation-of-distributed-services (or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPNGn1XHCKw, because pyvideo.org is closing soon)

Looking at current job postings, that’s still the case. Nowadays the bigger VFX shops have branches in multiple countries, so a lot of work has been put to allow pipelines to facilitate distributed work. The expectations for what’s possible to do with CGI have also grown tremendously, plus there is the transition from 2K to 4K. That means even bigger render farms, even more disk storage required, and of course higher expectations about artist productivity.

Python is very popular in the “sister” gaming industry as well.

Even though VFX-heavy movies have done extremely well at the box office for many years, there is persistent talk that the current situation with ever-decreasing margins for the VFX vendors is unsustainable. Quite a few of them have gone bankrupt in recent years, including shops which had won Oscar for VFX, like Rhythm & Hues (there was a scandal at the 2013 Oscars and an uproad in the VFX industry). Some VFX veterans are moving to alternative fields like virtual reality. Using Python for virtual reality development could be an interesting topic.

Another interesting topic could be Python (and technical skills in general) and the coveted job stability in the VFX industry - artists typically have to move a lot more often around the world to find work than developers (R&D coders and pipeline TDs). There are a lot of young people who want to work in VFX (or the gaming industry), some are spending a lot of money in CG programs only to find that the competition for a single job spot is huge. Candidates with technical chops have the advantage. The 2 main languages in VFX/gaming are Python and C++ and we all know in which language you can become productive more quickly.

I am very much enjoying your show, but sometimes the audio quality is so bad that I just skip shows. I’m not sure what your audio setup is, but it sounds like a lot of the time you are using your laptop microphone or a speaker phone and the audio is very hollow sounding.

Maybe if you posted some information on what your current setup is, we could make some suggestions. A good starting point is the remote guest information from Twit.TV. Their most obvious suggestion is to at least use a USB based headset microphone. Seems like the information might be a little old, but they suggest the Plantronics .audo 655 USB Headset.

Anyway, keep up the good work and thanks for the shows!
-p

(Tobias Macey) #11

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for the feedback. I apologize for the inconsistent audio experience, we try our best. As to our setup, I agree that we should write a post to detail how we work, it is something that I have been intending to do for a little while now.

We do both have USB microphones that we use but it is difficult to ask our guests to do the same and they are not always able to record their direct audio, which leaves us relying on the Skype call recording.

Thank you for listening and for joining our community :slightly_smiling:

(Máirín Duffy) #12

Hi, I’d love to hear an episode about Flask! I’ve recently started learning it (we’re using it for at least a couple of projects in Fedora’s infrastructure now) and I love to hear more about it particularly from the folks who work on it / have more experience.

It might be cool to talk to Aurelien Bompard and Barry Warsaw about Hyperkitty and Mailman 3! (I’m a bit biased there though, I worked on the UX for it. :slight_smile: )

(Yiorgos Adamopoulos) #13

An episode about pyparsing would seem interesting to me

(Tobias Macey) #14

I agree that Flask would make for a cool episode. It has been on our list for a while and I’m sure we’ll get it scheduled at some point. I actually have an interview about PILlow scheduled for next week, so keep an eye out for that one in about a month.

Hyperkitty and Mailman are definitely interesting projects, I’ll add those to the list :slight_smile:

(Tobias Macey) #15

Agreed! I just added it to our list of topics to do a show about. Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

(Yiorgos Adamopoulos) #16

An episode on Transifex and i18n would be nice! Transifex is mostly written in Python and you can still find the old open source part of the project on GitHub.

Disclaimer: I used to work for Transifex

(Tobias Macey) #17

Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile: I’ll add it to the list of topics for us to cover.

Here are a couple suggestions for people from projects I find interesting:

Thomas Waldmann from MoinMoin wiki and Borg backup

Bjarni Runar from Pagekite and Mailpile

(Tobias Macey) #19

Thanks for the suggestions! I added them to my list of topics.

Another suggestion to consider: David Halter of Jedi.